Thursday, June 7, 2007

10 Year Anniversary of Wings 97 Cup!



Wow, has it been 10 years? It feels like just yesterday I was pacing around my living room with my parents watching the Red Wings break their 55 year-old drought to win the Stanley Cup. And to win it at home, at the Joe--absolutely awesome. I admit: I teared up as I saw Vernon throw his gloves in the air and the team celebrate on the ice, as Kool & The Gang's "Celebration" played over and over.

After the celebration, I jumped in my car, picked up some friends and drove around the various metro-Detroit cities in full celebration mode.

It was the summer before my senior year in high school and for the whole playoffs, I couldn't concentrate on the last couple of weeks of school. Forget summer break, the Red Wings were back and were destined to win it.

If you have the Red Wings DVD set, A Celebration Of Champions, pop that bad boy in tonight and watch the final game against Philly. You'll see a young Holmstrom, putting on his cap in the hallway behind the bench as the final seconds tick down. Mike Vernon...the savior we needed in net, and the Conn Smythe winner standing tall despite his small stature. Stevie Y, Sergei Fedorov, Vladdy...all throwing the cup over there heads. There are so many great memories from that night.

Where were you on this night? Who were you with? What are your memories?

No comments: